Thursday, September 24, 2015

Guest Post for #Letterclub

I wrote this post for my GlobalPenFriends (#letterclub) blog.

You can view it on their site here.

When my friend asked me to write a blog post on crafty ideas for snail mail I was flattered. I continue to insist that I am not half as creative as she thinks I am, but I do like to scour Pinterest for ideas and adapt them to my needs and supplies. For years I have enjoyed embellishing plain notecards with stickers and decorations tailored to the occasion and taking into account the individual's personal tastes.   

               


Recently, I came across Folder Cards. I fell in love with the idea of a card as a surprise full of hidden treasures. Nothing fancy or expensive, just a little something extra to make it special, whimsical and fun.

First, I get out all of my supplies. I have been shopping the sales and clearance aisles for bits and bobs so I most always have something on hand to inspire a design.  My latest purchase was a bulk package of mixed paper that I got for half price so I started there.




Then I added some scraps of leftover paper I had and small bags and envelopes to folder. I used hot glue, because that is a tool I feel most confident with. Glue sticks, regular glue or tape could work as well. Just whatever you have on hand.  




Of course I wrote a personalized letter and tucked it into the large envelope of each card. I filled the rest of the cubbies with stickers, scraps of paper with treasured quotations, heart punches to represent kisses and hugs, bookmarks, & photographs. 

             

         

These were rather large cards that I was sending in parcels with other items so I had the space. I also did a few smaller notecard sized examples to send to my pen pals. 

          


I did get some feedback that while some items were a hit, others were a miss depending on the recipient. Once again it is about knowing your audience. Some people despise confetti for other's it's a delightful addition. Best to err on the side of caution. 

One other small touch I've been adding to my correspondence is a personalized stamp I had made from Nostalgic Expressions. It has been generally well received, although how my postman feels may be a different story. 

               


                                     My Crafty Snail Mail Corner


Remember, it's the content that counts. A beautifully handwritten letter needs no adornment, but sometimes it's fun to get your creative juices flowing. Have fun with it and happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment