Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Flawed

My friend posted pictures on Facebook of a gorgeous table she had refinished. It was stunning and I told her so as did several other friends. She thanked us, but said the table had a flaw on the right side and she wasn't satisfied it. People were even offering to buy this piece, but she wouldn't hear of it unless she could fix the mistake. 

I'll be honest, I had to go back and study the pictures to even know what she was talking about. I finally noticed a spot that was perhaps slightly different than the rest of the finish, but to me that was part of the charm. It was obvious in a good way that this was not a machine manufactured item. This furniture had been lovingly and beautifully restored by my fabulously talented friend and I thought it was perfect. 

It made me think, how many of us see glaring imperfections in ourselves that are nearly invisible to others. How many times do we let these so-called flaws keep us from trying for a promotion or asking out someone we are interested in getting to know? 

Let's cut ourselves some slack and realize that even with our "messed up" bits we are worthy of admiration and our beauty shines through. Scars are proof of a life well lived after all. 

PS I've got to say, that is one badass table! If she wasn't so sweet and genuine I'd be viciously envious of her skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment