Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Snail Mail

I recently became a member of #letterclub. More specifically, globalpenfriends.net.au

It is a lovely group of people who are adults and remember the fun of having pen pals, wishing to experience the rush of snail mail again. Yes, I have some friends and family that I already write to, but I enjoy meeting new people and there is something much more personal about a letter than email or text.

(Image from Google)


I spent a week curating our twitter handle @letterclub and really enjoyed finding things of my own and a lot more form Pinterest to share. I was even inspired to make my own writing center.

I now have pen pals in Australia, England and Canada.


I collect snail mail. For me, rereading letters from people you love who have passed on is like hearing their voice again while holding their hand. I treasure that. I also feel that I've gotten to know my ancestors who died before I was born by reading their correspondence.

Some of my snail mail on display.

Postcards from friends and family.

These postcards depict the lead & zinc mines where my grandpa worked with Mickey Mantle's dad.


Postcards from my parents.

My Great Grandmother's Collection of Postcards.

Postcard art by my sister who passed away in 2012.


Nothing brightens my day more than looking through a stack of bills and finding the familiar slant of a friend's hand. I like to get a cup of coffee or tea or sometimes even a glass of wine and take my time perusing the letter like having a conversation. Sometimes I write back straight away, but usually I leave it to simmer, reading the letter a few more times and then responding. I like to choose the stationery for the person keeping their likes and dislikes in mind. One of my favorite things to do is make my own cards and personalize the missive in some way. 





Happy Writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment